Skip to main content
background image background image

Frequently Asked Questions

Supervision, Direction and Control (SDC)

SDC affects all agency workers that are looking to be engaged as self-employed or looking to claim expenses.

By law, we must carry out an SDC test to confirm whether or not you can be engaged as self-employed or not. If you are employed through our umbrella product, we must carry out an SDC test to see if you are eligible to claim expenses.

If you are subject to any area of SDC, unfortunately, you are unable to be self-employed and cannot claim expenses.

Each assignment is unique, and we therefore carry out a separate SDC assessment for each contract that you undertake.

Self Assessment

It’s your choice as to whether you complete your Self Assessment yourself or outsource to an accountant to complete your tax return on your behalf. Completing a Self Assessment yourself is completely free, however, if an accountant completes your return on your behalf, you’ll be subject to paying accountant service fees.

When filling in your tax return, you’ll need: your Unique Taxpayer Reference (UTR), your National Insurance number, details of your untaxed income from the tax year, including income from self-employment, dividends and interest on shares, records of any expenses relating to self-employment, any contributions to charity or pensions that might be eligible for tax relief and your P60 or other records showing how much income you received that you’ve already paid tax on.

Yes, you can claim expenses to reduce your tax liabilities however, these must be strictly necessary for your business’ activity. For example, if you buy a replacement tool and it’s only used at work, you can claim back the money you used to pay for the tool in expenses.

You can set up a Budget Payment Plan if you want to make regular monthly or weekly payments towards your next tax bill.

Whether or not you are eligible for a tax rebate depends upon your income and expenditure. You’ll need to enter your income, expenditure, tax and national insurance that has already been paid throughout the tax year on the GOV.UK website, and this will let you know if you are due a rebate, or if you owe HMRC tax.

Your statement of earnings will automatically be sent to you via email within the first two to three weeks of the new tax year. If you have not received your statement of earnings by the end of April 2023, please contact a member of our friendly team who can process this for you.